Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Schloppy Healthy Joes - for him!

mm.. slopppy joes. Meat.. sauce... bun...more buns to schlep up the extra meat and sauce. Ahh those were the days. My boyfriend LOVES these and I do too, but now I skip the bun and the alternative recipe is for me to enjoy!

Schloppy Healthy Joes
Serves 4
Cook Time: 30min

Ingredients:
1lb Turkey (or Bison) meat
2tsp olive oil
1 clove garlic – minced
½ yellow onion – chopped
2tbs Sririacha
1tbs mustard
¼ c BBQ Sauce (I go organic from Trader Joes)
1c Ketchup (again organic)
1c tomatoe sauce (I use the broth from the left over veggie soup)

For him:
Hamburger (or slider) bun of choice!

Directions:
In large sauce pan add olive oil and onions – cook until soft. Add garlic and turkey meat: stirring until meat is completely cooked, crumbled and brown! Add tomato, BBQ sauce, ketchup mustard and Sriracha. Simmer for about 10min.

So, I always taste this for flavor and add either more BBQ, ketchup or Sririacha (pending my desired spice) and cook longer or less depending on the consistency .

For you: If I have left over soup, I will add this to it and have a meaty soup. Sometimes I will also add it to spinach or romaine and have a schloppy salad. I always skip the bun. Always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment