Monday, October 10, 2011

Theme/Challenge this week: Champagne Taste, PBR Budget

My mom always said that I have champagne taste on a coors light budget. Okay, maybe those weren't her words exactly, but its TRUE!! I am constantly in a financial uphill battle, I just like nice things! 


A few weeks ago, in my delirious-sickness I decided I want to own a home. At home point in my life, I will buy a house.  I WILL. This also lead to a series of part-time applications and opening a high interest bank account, for my direct deposit when I get that part-time gig. For now, I stick to what I know - feeding my man. I canceled a surprise I had planned for him due to "tightening the belt" and he laughed and said OK, no more $5 avocados then.. we have groceries here! By groceries he meant, canned tuna, frozen salmon and some year old mint-and-chip ice cream sandwiches. I'm sorry - you may be 30 and be okay with eating like a college boy, but I will not! Also, this is HIS pantry not mine, although mine isn't much better - I am not one to stock up on items, I buy mostly fresh - spices included and try and stay away from canned and processed goods. If I don't shop on Sunday, I would just about starve. BUT this got me thinking - OK, we're gonna save - then let's have that champagne taste on a PBR budget (we are in San Francisco after all) 


Here are some tips I found by Googling (oh how I love G...) "calorie counting on a budget"



Here are ways to cut calories and your budget:
  • Limit pre-packaged diet foods. If you have been relying on foods like frozen diet meals that do the calorie counting for you, you may save money by cooking at home and calculating the calories in your dishes yourself. All you have to do is add up the calories in each ingredient and divide the total by the number of portions the recipe makes.
  • Buy fresh fruits and vegetables in season. Whether you shop at the supermarket or the farmer’s market, seasonal, local produce is often the better deal. If you’re craving a dish that calls for out-of-season produce, use frozen — it’s cheaper and whatever you don’t use will keep for a later date.
  • Make beans and rice a protein substitute. Beans and rice are affordable, especially if you buy them dry and prepare them yourself. Stick with half a cup serving. It goes from being a high-fiber, nutritious food to being high-calorie very quickly.
  • Do the prep work yourself. The more preparation that has gone into your food before you buy it, the more it will cost. You can save a lot by buying fresh greens instead of bagged salad and whole chicken instead of boneless breasts (always remove the skin).
  • Maximize the value of your meals. When you cook a dish, make enough to freeze servings for other meals. Apply the same approach when you treat yourself to a meal out: Veteran calorie-counters know restaurant portions are too big, so consider your splurge to be dinner plus lunch tomorrow and take home half in a doggy bag.
  • Plan ahead with healthy snacks. If you know snacking is a weak spot for you midday at work, plan ahead. Packing a snack you make at home will save money and calories. Also keep in mind that a container of raw veggies or melon chunks is more budget-friendly than the box of cookies or bag of chips you used to buy.
I found this at EveryDayHealth.com


No comments:

Post a Comment