Tuesday, October 11, 2011

No Bitchin' Lasagna: my Trick AND Treat

While on my new budget (and new healthy non-smoking life) I decided in the spirit of Halloween I would Trick AND Treat my boyfriend... Inspired by reading skinny bitch for the 5th time (NO, I will not ever go Vegan) I wanted some comfort food without the un-comfort after. The Trick? He has no idea this meal is basically Vegan. The Treat? He LOVED it. 

So, first on the menu this week we have the Lynsanity version of Skinny Bitch "East Coast Lasagna"  - the downside of Skinny Bitch is that 1) many of their required ingredients are a little out of this world and 2) they don't specify serving sizes in their recipes! 

No Bitchin' Lasagna
Serves: 8?
Cook time: 2hrs or less

Ingredients:
(a la Skinny B)
1lb whole wheat or brown rice lasagna noodles
5c basic "red sauce"
4c Tofu "ricotta"
12-14oz vegan ground beef (I used left over chicken)
10oz vegan mozzarella

FYI - I only used 9 noodles, the red sauce recipe makes 7c and I only used 3 in the lasagna. There was leftovers too of the Tofu and I can tell you now its sooooooo good I can't wait to stuff some shells or just eat it plain! I did a miz of Veggie shreds and skim mozzarella.  If you have left over steamed veggies, I threw those in the food processor and mixed it in with the tofu - so good.

Sauce -
2tbs e.v. olive oil
1 onion, diced
8-10 cloves of garlic
2 28oz (salt/sugar free) crushed tomatoes
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/4c red wine (optional - I used it. duh.)
2 tbs finely chopped basil
1tbs oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp hot sauce (optional)
1tbs agave nectar (optional)

Heat oil and in 4-6quart pot, medium/low heat, add onions - cook till clear, not brown! Add garlic cook 1 min. Sirt in tomatoes and paste, increase heat and bring to a boil, turn down low and add the remainder - add the hot sauce or agave last based on how you think the sauce tastes. We ended up adding more garlic and hot sauce.

Tofu "ricotta" - 
14-16oz Extra Firm tofu
3 cloves garlic
2tbs e.v. olive oil
1tbs fried oregano



Combine ingredients in food processor - voila! Ricotta! (I added the veggies to my mix)

Now lasagna directions:
Pre-Heat oven 350. Cook Noodles as directed, add salt for a bit of flavor and for less sticky noodles, I also added some chili powder, yum! When the noodles are done, lay flat on foil or parchment paper till ready for use. Layer one is about 3/4-1c of sauce, then noodles (I fit 3 in a row) scoop in a thin layer of ricotta, then chicken than cheese then sauce, then noodles and repeat until you get to the top. Final layer cheese and sauce! Bake 60-75min until piping hot. 




2 comments:

  1. Now that looks like something I can get my husband to eat. You gave me a wonderful idea about using it with shell pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have so much ricotta left over - I am stuffing chicken breasts tomorrow! haha

    ReplyDelete