Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Bison Meatloaf with Chips and Spinach

Clearly, I have an obsession with Bison meat. I don't even remember what ground turkey or beef tastes like. With the cold weather and my tree lit up, I just want some comfort foods!  This is lean, gluten free and loaded with nutrients. 


Bison Meatloaf
Serves 5
Total prep/cook 1.5 hours


Ingredients
Olive Oil
1lb Bison (or any lean ground meat)
1c onion, chopped
1T oreagno (or Italian Spices)
1 egg
1/4c pureed squash (I go frozen)
1/2c tomato sauce, divided (salt free/low sodium)
1/2c panko flakes (Japanese bread crumbs)
1/2t salt
1T black pepper
1/4t crushed red pepper, or chili powder
2T hot sauce (Tapatio!)
1 garlic clove, pressed
10oz spinach (fresh or frozen)  


For Him
1 potato, thinly slliced
3T olive oil
couple shakes of prefered seasoning (I have used lowrys in the past, but tonight I used Trader Joes 21 Spice Seasoning)
Handful of shredded cheese for meat loaf


Directions
Preheat oven to 375. Saute onions and 2T garlic in olive oil until clear, remove from heat and add oregano. In a large bowl, combine Bison, egg, squash, 1/4c tomato, panko, and cooked onions. (My mix got a bit mushy from being out and it being warm in the house, so i popped it in the fridge for a few moments while I prepared the potatoes) Mold your meat and place in greased pan and place in oven. Mix remaining tomato sauce, chilies and hot sauce in a small bowl - after 30 min pour sauce on top and bake for another 20.  While the meatloaf cools down, prepare the spinach with 1T of olive oil and remaining garlic. Salt and pepper totaste - try adding a little bit of parmesean or nutritional yeast into the mix! Serve with spinach on the side! 


Potatoes - combine olive oil and spices, add potatoes and cover with oil evenly. Spread out on a cookie sheet and bake until desired crispness. I put them in at the same time with the meat loaf, and let them bake, flipping them after I added the sauce on the meat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment