Tuesday, November 15, 2011

better late than never - its cold, lets make chili

Since my last post my work has been upside down - running 24 hours and is finally back to normal. So am I! I was able to cook once or twice over the last couple of weeks but no time to post. 


On Halloween I made (and made up) a new Chili recipe full of fall flavors - and just to be cute... served it in a pumpkin bowl! (Points for presentation, not for functionality)


Bison, Beer and Apple Chili
Prep and Cook - 1 hour


Ingredients
7oz Red Kidney Beans
7oz Hominy Beans
7oz Black Beans
1 can Beer (I used 21st amendement IPA)
1lb ground Bison
2 Green Apples, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
2tsp chili powder
1tsp sugar
1tsp salt
1Tbs oregano
1Tbs minced garlic
2c Veggie Broth
1 14oz can Diced (Salt Free) tomatoes
Hot Sauce to taste (Tapitio baby!)


For Him:
Corn Bread Mix
4tbs butter
1tbs agave nectar
1/2tsp chili powder
Shredded cheese of choice


Directions: In stock pot on high, add apples, onions and bison, stir occasionally until meat is brown and then stir in spices and sugar. Add broth, beer, tomatoes and garlic, bring to a boil, add beans and let simmer about 30-45min. 


For Butter: Mix, butter (of choice) with Agave and Chili powder


I served these in little pumpkin bowls (luckily I was able to successfully make pumpkin seeds with them!) that turned out great, but did not work so well - along with homemade corn bread (for the man) and honey-chili butter! So good! 



No comments:

Post a Comment